Death Cloud by Andrew Lane | Teen Ink

Death Cloud by Andrew Lane

June 7, 2012
By thertlein BRONZE, Pawcatuck, Connecticut
thertlein BRONZE, Pawcatuck, Connecticut
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“A pause, as if the man behind the voice was thinking, and then: “Take the boy away and kill him. Make it look like an accident. Run him over with a horse cart. Make sure the wheels crush his neck.”

Death Cloud takes place in the summer of 1868, when his dad, who is an army official, is unexpectedly deported to Indi. Plus with his sick mother, fourteen- year old Sherlock Holmes is sent to stay with his unusual uncle and aunt in their boundless house in Farnham. Here Sherlock associates himself with many questionable situations, eventually finding himself uncovering his first murder case and a very cruel villain.

Andrew Lane’s style of writing is very detail-oriented and graphic in a bit of a morbid way. It is so action-packed and will keep you guessing from the first chapter. This detective fiction novel leaves the reader with just enough clues to leave you trying to piece together the whole mystery.

Death Cloud is a perfect read for anyone who enjoys and is a fan of mysteries that can tolerate a little mind game or anyone looking for a very exciting plot with a lot of action. I would recommend this book to everyone because even if you're not into mystery fiction, I guarantee you will be hooked after reading.

Lane has many strengths in his writing, however there are some weaknesses to prepare yourself for. For example there is so much dialogue that in some parts it begins to get difficult to interpret what each character is saying. Also there are many different events taking place at such a rapid pace, it is hard to keep up remembering all the past events beforehand so you can attempt to put everything together and solve the murder case.

Overall it is a great read and never has a dull moment. This book is truly exhilarating, exciting read. It’s one of those “can’t put down” novels that will keep you turning the pages, especially in the end. It left me with a chill up my spine. It has such a big twist, and just left me completely stunned. The ending is definitely a jaw dropper; just when you thought you had it figured out... BAM.