The Lottery Rose by Irene Hunt | Teen Ink

The Lottery Rose by Irene Hunt

June 6, 2012
By Pinklver BRONZE, Alton, New Hampshire
Pinklver BRONZE, Alton, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

No one said growing up would be easy. Not everyone has a pleasant, pain free, and guilt free life. The kind of life that you want to look back on and remember all those amazing memories you had with your family. Well that’s not the life, George the main character in the Lottery Rose lives. It is the life he has dreamt all his life. To his mother Georgie is an inconvenience and a mistake. All his life his mother has abused him and mistreated him.
Georgie and his mother live in Florida in a very unsafe environment for Georgie. They have lived in this bad section of town as long as Georgie can remember. His mother can not hold a job and wastes all her money on alcohol instead of feeding Georgie and herself. And with no father to support Georgis and an abusive mother at home, Georgie feels like there is no place for him in the world. Because that is how he has been treated all his life and does not know any different.In this sad, yet uplifting story about how some children are mistreated by their parents and friends.
I would recommend this book to people who are enticed by seeing the characters go through ups, downs, trial, and error and then surpass all the odds that no one thought they could do. In this heart warming and breaking story. This is an amazing book about relationships, friendships, and forgiveness. Irene Hunt did an amazing job describing characters, telling you all of their personalities and feelings all throughout the book. This is an astounishing book about emotion and sadness.