Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Cholenko | Teen Ink

Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Cholenko

June 4, 2012
By ElizabethBurke BRONZE, Alton, NH, New Hampshire
ElizabethBurke BRONZE, Alton, NH, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Al Capone Does My Shirts
Gennifer Choldenko


What would you do if you lived on an island near a huge jail full of famous criminals? Would you make money off of famous villains washing your friend’s cloths? Well, this is exactly what “Moose” and his new friend Piper do in the book Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko.

Choldenko’s characters live on a mysterious island with murderers, mob bosses, and convicts. These guys are not your every day neighbors, especially Al Capone, Machine Gun Kelly, and some more interesting characters. Moose tries to make the best of his new school and his new “friend”, Piper, and focuses on protecting Natalie, his special sister, instead. Natalie, or Nat, loves to play with her button collection everyday, but when her mom leaves to go to work Moose is in charge, and Nat doesn’t like. She isn’t very happy when her mom leaves, Nat has fits and starts rolling on the ground.

Moose has to try to fit into his new school, and stay out of Piper’s schemes. Piper is a goody-to-shoes when she’s around her father, the warden, but when it comes to the Alcatraz Jail, she is all about trouble. Moose tries his best to stay out of trouble, but on Alcatraz, trouble is never far away.

The book Al Capone Does My Shirts is very interesting. Once I started reading it, I couldn’t put it down! I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone that is 9 years of age or older.