The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton | Teen Ink

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton

The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton, is about a group of teenage boys in a group/gang called the greasers. They are a middle to low class group of teens that live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and are constantly fighting a higher class group called the socs (short for socials).

The main Character and of this book is a boy named Ponyboy Curtis. S.E. Hinton does a real good job of giving you the life of a teenage boy in the sixties that has many challenges in life. Throughout reading this book, I was enthralled by all the twists and turns that this story makes, however, there is so much detail in each one. The amount of detail and drama that goes into this book makes it unbelievable that the whole book takes place over the course of one week. You get to know the characters of the book really well, all of them with a different background story and a different personality.

As I said, there is another group called the socs, whom they fight against and jump and pick on throughout their lives. But, as you read this book, you almost might get the idea that maybe the socs and the greasers are not that different after all. Even though they come from different places and wear different cloths, they all see the same sunset.