romeo and juliet by william shakespeare | Teen Ink

romeo and juliet by william shakespeare

By crysy BRONZE, Lincoln, California
crysy BRONZE, Lincoln, California

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

Complicated dialogue and exaggerated lines aren’t usually what I recommend for a reader who longs to read a regular book. This isn’t even a book, it’s a play. What I liked about this play, was that it undeniably a challenge we live in a world where people are so lazy when they talk, and even reach a point where we don’t even use words, like “lol”. This play was written in 1599-1600. Don’t be fooled because this play is thin.
You’ve most likely heard of Romeo and Juliet and/or William Shakespeare. Yes, it’s a classic and that might be the leading reason for why you want to read it, but don’t let me stop you. I am glad a read this play because it’s so popular, but I didn’t favor it. If you want to understand what people are talking about when this subject comes up, read it. It’s not a horrible storyline, but it’s not there are a lot of internal conflicts between all the many characters.
Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet fall madly in love, but their families loathe one another for a reason unknown. That shows that the fighting between the families have been for over a century. Juliet’s father arranges certain plans with Prince Paris which clashes with Juliet’s love for Romeo. They face the obstacles that prevent their love with the help of Friar Laurence to make an unusual, dramatic ending.
This play wasn’t my usual walk in the park, but it caused intent thinking on the vocabulary. It also taught me that if you don’t exactly know the reason why you’re fighting, drop it. All in all, I’m glad I read the book, but it contains too much drama for my taste.