The Plain Truth by Jodi Piccoult | Teen Ink

The Plain Truth by Jodi Piccoult

May 31, 2012
By Lauren Edwards BRONZE, Lincoln, California
Lauren Edwards BRONZE, Lincoln, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I loved this book, because it had characters and a setting completely unknown to me. Reading this book was just as new as learning about an alien planet. It was fast paced, but it wasn’t confusing. I consider it one of the best books I’ve read. It shows the complexities of wanting to do your duty and be the good girl, and wanting to just ditch your duty and do what you want to do.

In the Plain Truth, a newborn baby is found in a haystack, dead. Who was its mother? How did it die? The prime candidate, for both giving birth to the baby and killing the baby, is Katie Fisher, an Amish girl, who keeps denying she was pregnant, even though all signs say she was. Media jumps on the case, saying that she either killed her baby in shock, or by neglect. But, her only defense was—“I’m not pregnant.” Katie, with court-hired lawyers, would have been eaten alive by the professional lawyers assigned as Prosecution.

Her attorney, Ellie Hathaway, is only helping her as a favor to her aunt. However, as the plot goes on and she gets to know the Fisher family, she learns that there’s although something pure and simple about being Amish, it’s still just a normal family. She learned many things about the Amish culture during her research for the case; many of it helping herself makes decisions.

In the end, although the baby’s death was horrible, it also taught everyone different lessons. The most important one was that it brought families together and showed everyone just how strong the Amish could be.