Unwind by Neal Shusterman | Teen Ink

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

May 31, 2012
By Kellybeth BRONZE, Hogwarts, Other
Kellybeth BRONZE, Hogwarts, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
All lives end, all hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.


Unwind by Neal Shusterman


Unwind by Neal Shusterman is a chilling, sci-fi novel set in a dystopian community in the near future where unwanted children are unwound, meaning they are dissected and used as donors.

The story revolves around Risa and Connor, two teenagers who are sentenced to be unwound. When their paths cross with a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound, named Lev, the three teenagers flee from the world they know and become fugitives. The story has many subplots but mainly follows the journey of Risa, Connor, Lev, and others they meet along the way, all attempting to escape unwinding.

I greatly enjoyed this book for its use of suspense and lack of morals in the government officials. The idea that they were so willing to kill these children both horrified me and pulled me in. This book is truly addicting and once you pick it up, it will be hard to put down. I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys thrillers with a taste of adventure and a touch of action.