The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

Hill, Susan. The Woman in Black. Vintage, January 3, 2012. 0307745317. $10.99

“For I see that then I was still all in a state of innocence, but that innocence, once lost, is lost forever.” The Woman in Black is a chilling tale of a vengeful spirit that haunts the town of Crythin Gifford. Arthur Kipps is a young lawyer who is sent to wrap up the affairs of the mysterious shut-in, Mrs. Drablow. Unbeknownst to him, her house contains something far more tragic and sinister than her paperwork. As Arthur unravels the mystery surrounding El Marsh House, without out help from frightened townspeople, he discovers a secret as well as a curse that would unnerve the bravest of souls. Although the book has a sort of slow start, the unearthly action that occurs and the eerie ending make up for that. I enjoyed the novel because I love a clever ghost story. This particular one made me want to pull my covers over my head late in the night, all in good fun of course. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a good scare or can appreciate a good ghost story. (Adrienne Reece, Hunter Huss High School, student.)