Bud, Not Buddy-Christopher Paul Curtis | Teen Ink

Bud, Not Buddy-Christopher Paul Curtis

“Bud, Not Buddy” by Christopher Paul Curtis is an interesting story that has won awards such as the “John Newberry Medal” and the “Coretta Scott King Award.” “Bud, Not Buddy” tells of a young boy named Bud. When Bud was just six years old, his mother passed away. Without a father, Bud has been living in a Home for the past four years. When Bud gets sent to a foster home, he decides the parents and their son, who almost beat up Bud, are not worth the trouble. He gets his revenge and then takes off; hoping to track down his father who Bud believes is no other than Herman E. Calloway. Bud faces violence, hunger, fear, and even vampires in this story, but he still doesn't give up, no matter what.

In my opinion, “Bud, Not Buddy” is a great book. It left me wanting more, even at the very end. Bud is a very brave boy who will stop at nothing to find Herman E. Calloway. Could he really be Bud's father? Maybe Bud is just mistaken, but you'll have to read to find out. I would recommend “Bud, Not Buddy” to any age group. Preferably fifth grade and up, as some situations may be confusing to younger readers. “Bud, Not Buddy” was a great book that I enjoyed reading. Although it had its fair share of sadness, funniness, and hardship, “Bud, Not Buddy” was still a really great book. I couldn't put it down; it kept me hooked until the very last page. You'll be surprised at how it ends.