Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

May 23, 2012
By AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York
AnubhutiKumar PLATINUM, New York, New York
41 articles 0 photos 8 comments

“The Mockingjay” has landed! This book is the much anticipated conclusion to the widely read “Hunger Games” series. The author of these books is Suzanne Collins, who also wrote the series “Gregory the Overlander”.

There could only be one winner….the rest would die. The “Hunger Games” is the story of a young girl forced to mature before her time. Katniss Everdeen, the girl on fire, rebellious, desperate, protective sister, and loyal. She is an independent, strong girl with a mind of her own and a fiery personality. She lives in district 12 with her mother and sister. Her father died in mining accident. Mining is the specialty of the poor district and most of the men are coal miners. District 12 is an area of Panem, the future North America, which is divided into 12 districts.
Since her father died she has become the sole supporter of her family, which includes her sister primrose and her mother, who went into shock and couldn’t support her kids after their father died. Katniss has since been resentful for that no matter how much she tried to forgive her. Her family was starving because of this and Katniss didn’t know what to do and eventually, out of sheer desperation turned to stealing. She saw the baker’s wife throw away a loaf of stale bread and tried to take it but was severely reprimanded and sent away. The baker’s son, Peeta, saw all this and “accidently” burned a loaf of bread, and took it outside claiming to feed it to the animals, and threw it to Katniss. She was shock and this was her first sign of hope that her and her family would make it. She was encouraged and a sharp shooter so she started hunting and met Gale, a young boy who had lost his father in the same mining accident. He was skillful with traps and she was a pro with a bow. They worked together and helped keep each other’s family’s alive and well and soon became fast friends.

Every year in Panem, a horrid event takes place, the hunger games. A boy and girl (ages12-17) are picked from each district to compete in a bloody completion to the death, for the enjoyment of the citizens of the capitol, who don’t have to sacrifice their kids. This completion is to remind the districts that the capitol is in control and not to rebel like District 13, which got blown up supposedly. The first few districts are so rich they train their kids and it is an honor, to the rest it was a death sentence. Primrose is picked the first year eligible and Katniss volunteers to take her place. Katniss is given a Mockingjay pin by her friend Madge, the mayor’s daughter, as her token. The Mockingjay is a cross between a Mockingbird and Jabberjay, created by the government to spy on the people. She goes into the arena with none other than Peeta, the baker’s boy who saved her and gave her hope again. Would she have to kill him to win? She is introduced to the world as the girl on fire, alongside Peeta. In the preliminary interviews Peeta reveals to the world that he loves Katniss. He tells her it is part of the plan to gain sympathy and sponsors, and his plan works. They both make it through, but not without a rebellious stunt that angers and makes a fool out of the government, on Katniss’s part. They head home and on the way Peeta tells her he really loves her. Before their victory tour throughout the districts the president tells her if she tries anything rebellious there will be serious consequences for her and her friends and family. When she comes back, Gale tells her he loves her! Before she can think through the mess she has made of her life she is called back into the area for a second Hunger games. This time it ends in chaos and quite a few are saved but some die protecting Peeta and Katniss, and some are taken hostage by the government, including Peeta. Katniss was priority because she has become the face of the revolution and rebellion taking place in the districts. Katniss has become the Mockingjay. She is taken to safety in a mysterious place and her job is to encourage the districts in their fight for freedom, but will she be able to knowing the government is torturing Peeta at any given moment? Will she be able to save him? And if she does who will she chose? Peeta or Gale? Find out in the exciting and thrilling conclusion to the Hunger Games, The Mockingjay!