Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis | Teen Ink

Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

May 22, 2012
By auntsara55 BRONZE, Fairmont, West Virginia
auntsara55 BRONZE, Fairmont, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Christopher Paul Curtis has written Bud, Not Buddy, a heart lifting story based in 1963 in a small town known as Flint Michigan during the Great Depression. The main character in this story is a ten year old named Bud. Bud leaves his orphanage to be sent to the Amos’s home. When Bud soon discovers that the Amos’s home is not safe for Bud to be living in, he sets off to leave Flint, Michigan to find the man whom he believes to be his lost father. On Bud’s long adventure he meets many new friends such as; Lefty Lewis, Deza Meelo, and many more. Bud is also able to discover many new places that he never knew existed such as; Hooverville, Osowa Michigan, and Grand Rapids, Michigan. On Bud’s adventure of finding his father he uses the flyers his mother has left behind to help find him.


Bud, Not Buddy, written by Christopher Paul Curtis is a heart lifting and in some cases heart breaking story. This story had me on the edge of my seat, wanting to read more and more of Bud’s adventure of finding his father to know where he will end up next. Christopher Paul Curtis used great word choice that allowed me to feel as if I were in the book myself. One main lesson I learned from this story was to never give up on what you believe in and to never let anyone tell you that you can not accomplish something. I would recommend Bud, Not Buddy to anybody of the age ten and older because the main character, Bud, is ten years old. I also think ages ten and up is a good age to recommend this book because it will allow kids to hopefully learn the same lesson I have learned.