How They Met and Other Stories by David Levithan | Teen Ink

How They Met and Other Stories by David Levithan

July 29, 2008
By jlynne5011 BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
jlynne5011 BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I read How They Met and Other Stories by David Levithan over the summer. After reading Boy Meets Boy and The Realm of Possibility I decided that I wanted to read more from this unique author. Once I read the first couple pages I was unable to put the book down. How They Met is a collection of short stories written mostly in the time of the author's high school experience. The majority of the stories focus on the difficulties the characters face in having a relationship with a member of the same sex (though some of them include straight couples). These stories are exceptionally written for someone of high school age and it goes to show how Mr. Levithan came to be such an established young adult author. He seems to have captured the spirit of love in his work and easily connects with the reader. Even for someone who is not gay/lesbian/bi you can understand the depth of emotions the characters feel for one another in just the few pages of writing that he's done. I absolutely loved this book and I would give it five out of five stars. I recommend anyone looking for a good quick-read book to pick this up at a local bookstore or library. It unexpectedly blew me away.