The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By erinatpan97 BRONZE, Suffern, New York
erinatpan97 BRONZE, Suffern, New York

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, begins a few days before the day of the reaping in District 12. Katniss Everdeen, the 16-year-old narrator, goes out to meet her friend Gale so they can do some hunting and gathering before the reaping that afternoon. As Katniss leaves her home to the Meadow and, finally, to the woods, where people of the district are forbidden to go, we learn about Katniss' life in the poorest , deprived district known as the Seam, her family, which is only herself, her depressed mother and beloved 12 year old sister, Prim.
The reaping is a feared time because it determines which boy and girl, ages 12 to 18, will serve as the district's tributes in the Hunger Games. Two tributes are drawn in each of the 12 districts, and those tributes are sent to an arena where they fight until only one tribute remains alive. Shockingly,Prim's name is selected at the reaping when her odds were one of the lowest of all the people. Katniss volunteers to take the place of her younger sister and becomes District 12's girl tribute for the 74th Hunger Games. Peeta Mellark, a boy Katniss' age and the son of the baker, is selected as the other tribute. They seem inseparable, which, as the training goes on, becomes hard for Katniss, who can't decide whether Peeta's kindness and compliments are sincere or simply a part of a plan for winning the Games. They fight their hearts out and win over the crowd as they kill the tributes of the other 11 districts. The novel ends with Katniss and Peeta on their train ride back to District 12 as heroes. The closer she gets to home, the more confused Katniss becomes about her feelings for Peeta and about her real identity.

I recommend this book to everyone! Hunger games is the first book of a trilogy and it is one of the best books I have ever read. The anticipation of what happens next kills, making you want to keep reading on. I think everyone will enjoy this book, and if you’re not the reading type, they also just released the movie which got great reviews as well. This book is a mix between action and romance. It grabs the attention of the reader and you’ll never want to put the book down. If you would like more information about the author or the book series, go to http://www.thehungergames.co.uk/ I hope you all decide to read this book because I promise it will not leave you bored.

We were writing book reviews in Freshman Writing Seminar and this book interested me and many of my peers.