of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck | Teen Ink

of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

I recently read of Mice and Men. It was a very exciting and riveting book. It was very informative and educational. It has many facts about the agricultural world and life in the old times. The book also touches upon mental illness which is a very important topic to me. I think it is very important to bring awareness to this important topic. One of the main characters, Lennie, has some unknown illness. The plot started out slow but got very exciting towards the end. The plot was simple and exciting. The conflict really pulled you in and made you want to keep reading. Throughout the story I was left wondering what would happen to George and Lennie. Would they get their dream farm? Would Lennie get to tend the bunnies? I knew from the beginning there was going to be a problem with Curleys wife. She was a wicked, mean lady. I don’t think I have ever hated a charcter in a book so much as I disliked her. She was evil and I despised her. I enjoyed the author’s characterization immensely. The characters personalities were very intriguing. My favorite character was George. George was very intelligent and quick on his feet. I admire his never-give-up attitude. I loved how George looked after Lennie even though he didn’t have to. He was kind to him although without him, his life would be so much easier. George tried to keep Lennie out of trouble and Lennie tried to keep out of trouble, but because of his limited intellectual capabilities he failed every time. This was so tragic. The book was written very well. The story slowly revealed more of who Lennie and George were and what problems Lennie had. It was clear that things would never be favorable for him. A tragic story that I enjoyed reading. The ending is so sad I found myself crying. This was the only thing I didn’t enjoy about the story. I enjoy stories with a happy, fairytale ending. That is why I didn’t enjoy the sad ending of this book. Overall I think John Steinbeck did a fantastic job. He incorporated history, setting, plot, characterization and many other literacy elements to write an amazing book.