The Hunger Games (1) by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games (1) by Suzanne Collins

By texas123 BRONZE, West Hartford, Connecticut
texas123 BRONZE, West Hartford, Connecticut

The Hunger Games by: Suzanne Collins is a mind blowing book. How would you feel if at age 12-18 you were put in a lottery? The winner of the lottery has to fight to the death against other people their age in a game called the Hunger Games. This a reality for Katniss Everdeen and her 12 year old sister. When her sister is selected she volunteers to take her spot. Katniss promises her sister that she will to her best to stay alive. Over the course of the book Katniss goes on a crazy adventure to do her best to win the Hunger Games.

Katniss Everdeen lives in District 12 of a country called Panem, which is America in the future. Out of the 12 district Katniss’ District 12 is the most poor. People often die of starvation in her district. After Katniss’ father dies she has to hunt to get food for her family. Every year 24 kids (2 from each district one boy, one girl) are chosen to participate in the Hunger Games which is when the kids are put in an arena to fight to the death to entertain the capitol. The districts fought a war against the capitol (the wealthier people who live in a different city far from the 12 districts) and lost. The Hunger Games is their punishment. When Katniss volunteers to take her sister’s spot she has to overcome her fears and fight for her life to try and win.

One thing I didn’t like about the book was that Peeta (the boy selected to compete in the Hunger Games from District 12) and Katniss are very complicated characters. They are supposed to be pretending to be in love, but you can never tell if they are pretending to be in love or not. When Katniss finds Peeta in the mud during the games, she pretends she loves him so they can get sponsors. But Peeta acts like he actually is in love with Katniss so you can’t tell if they are in love or not. However, as the book goes on Katniss makes it seem like she is in love, but you can never be sure. This is why I find this part of the book too complicated.

Another part of the book I didn’t like was the ending. The reason is because the author doesn’t tell the reader what happens when Peeta and Katniss return to District 12. I think part of the reason the author didn’t make the ending clear was so she could write a sequel. I think its also not clear whether they are safe from the capitol. I also think this is because Suzanne Collins wanted there to be a second book and wanted the reader to be left on a cliff hanger. This being said I still thought this was a great book. Even though the book has two flaws I think those are the only flaws.

Even though in the last two paragraphs I said what i didn’t like, all the other parts of the book were phenomenal. The plot was very exciting and it made me think of how lucky I am not to have to worry about being chosen to fight to the death. I think this book should be read by not only people who like science fiction, but I think anyone who reads it would like it.