The strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson | Teen Ink

The strange Case of Dr.Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

By Rowean SILVER, Scarborough, Other
Rowean SILVER, Scarborough, Other

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
By Robert Louis Stevenson

Started April 1st, finished April 2nd
I just finished reading this book... I wanted to start doing reviews for all the classics (free if you have a Kobo).
I realized while I was reading this book that it would have been even better if the secret of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde wasn't known by all. For it's time this book is rich and extremely thrilling. I think what I liked the most was the fact that the story is not seen from Dr. Jekyll's point of view but rather a good friend of his, Mr. Utterson. Since It's a view from the outside of the chaos you don't find out the true secret of Dr. Jekyll until the the last two chapters. All the elements of this story were very strong and well-written.
Each character had a purpose in the story, whether it was to heighten the stakes or give some clues to Mr. Utterson so he could figure the whole thing out. Mr. Utterson himself is a very interesting character, he seems very selfless and determined in this. He pretty much spends the whole story trying to figure out why his dear friend, Dr. Jekyll, seems so haunted, never leaves his house and why his last will and testament says that everything goes to this horrible man Mr. Hyde. I also quite enjoy the character(s) of Dr. Jekyll, not only are they complete opposites but the way he writes Mr. Hyde is actually very different from what I thought. Mr. Hyde is written as a man of small stature, who doesn't look very different from the normal man. The thing that makes people hate him is that he just has this evil aura around him that gives people goosebumps. I thought that was a very clever way of doing it.
The story itself is actually brilliant, Mr. Stevenson actually gives you the perfect balance of a thriller and a mystery. He doesn't give the secret away 'til the very end and when he does it packs such a shocking punch. I do recommend though if you know the secret of Dr. Jekyll that you try to forget it because knowing takes away some of the thrill. I also suggest that you read this with a dictionary at hand because some of his words are a bit advanced and/old. I truly wish I could talk about more but I'm afraid of giving it all away, you'll just have to read it.
In a whole I HIGHLY suggest this book, it's very good and great if you like the good old-fashioned style of writing. Please stay tuned for my next review which will be Bram Stoker's Dracula which I'm starting after I finish reading the prequel to the steampunk chronicles.

Please comments on critques I loove tips on hw to make my stuff better.