Be more chill by Ned Vizzini | Teen Ink

Be more chill by Ned Vizzini

April 3, 2012
By TristanCook222 BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
TristanCook222 BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Be more chill by Ned Vizzini is quite an interesting book. Although the novel is fiction, the author makes it seem like it is non-fiction. Some strengths of the novel are how the author writes it. The novel is based on a squip, or a supercomputer that you can ingest, that makes you smarter and better at everything you do. The author knows how to keep the reader interested and wanting to read more. A weakness of the novel is how the characters can acquire this item. It states that the main character, Jeremy, purchased a squip at a Payless Shoes store, at a cost of 500 dollars. Jeremy is a tall scrawny boy with really bad dandruff and who sits quietly in class every day. Everyone talks around him thinking that he doesn't hear what he or she says and just ignores them but the truth is he hears everything everyone says. The squip that Jeremy buys has its ups and its downs. Although it causes Jeremy to make friends and become “cool”, it also causes him to try things he’s never tried before, such as pot and ecstasy. Also, towards the end of the novel it malfunctions, leaving Jeremy standing in front of a crowd of people not knowing what to say. The book’s themes and concerns are very relevant to today’s world; because it focuses on the typical problems a high school student would face, such as the craving to become “cool”, or the exposure to drugs and girls. I would recommend this book to others teens, because it includes comical and interesting scenes, that I believe a normal high school student would enjoy.