Delirium by Lauren Oliver | Teen Ink

Delirium by Lauren Oliver MAG

By N.S.Clow GOLD, Aurora, Illinois
N.S.Clow GOLD, Aurora, Illinois

Lena Haloway has spent the past 17 years believing that love is a disease, a delirium that will drive you to the point of insanity. This delirium has caused the government to go to drastic measures to ensure that everyone will experience a life without love, pleasure, or feeling. The government has come up with a cure for this delirium, implemented for everyone on their eighteenth birthday, that erases all hope of ever falling in love.

Lena is looking forward to the day she is cured and is able to live a safe, unsurprising life. Then Alex, a boy who is both charming and furtive, steps into her life and unexpectedly starts to change the way she sees the world. Lena knows that if she continues talking to Alex, she could succumb to the delirium and fall in love with this boy who she never expected to plummet into her safe, secure life.

The moment I read the first sentence of Delirium, I could not put the book down. It had me wanting more with every twist and turn. Throughout the book, I was holding my breath, and my heart would speed up when it started to get really interesting. Reading it from Lena's point of view, I felt as though I was suctioned to her; I was breathing the air she breathed and living the life she lived. She is a strong character I can relate to, and is like me – strong-headed, smart, and fierce – in many ways that surprised me. And Alex had me falling for him right away. His robust personality is another exciting addition that brings the book to life.

The characters experience every emotion that can surround one in a dystopian world. This is by far one of my favorite stories. Delirium has found a spot in my large collection of books.

Lauren Oliver's idea for Delirium came after she read an essay by Gabriel Garcia Marquez that focused on two main themes: love and death. When Oliver saw a news post about disease, the three ideas collided, and Delirium, one of the best books I have ever read, was created. I would award it ten out of ten stars, not only for outstanding development of plot and characters, but also for magnificent, incomparable writing.

Delirium kept me on the edge of my seat with every page, all 441 of them.

madison_e34 said...
on Dec. 16 2014 at 10:32 am
The book Delirium is one of my favorites and a fantastic book for young teen readers. The book has many confusing moments, but the author still gets the points through. The authors purpose may be that in the future love can overcome the world. Lena Haloway, who has lived with her aunt since she was seven, has never been more ready for anything than getting the cure. When she goes for her evaluation and sees a young man standing on the platform, will her aspect change? Lena and her best friend, Hana go for a run, when Hana takes an unexpected route and they end up at the laboratory. Ignoring the no trespassing signs, they jump the fence and run into the young man, Alex. Alex and Lena later fall in love and keep a secret relationship. When they get caught, her aunt immediately tries to make her evaluation sooner. Lena escapes and finds Alex before they run off to the wilds, the place where love is legal, but something takes an unexpected turn. Will they make it there alive? Lauren Oliver is a wonderful writer. I've read multiple of her books and they all are quite indulging. Lauren makes sure to be descriptive, but not ramble. She makes sure to get her point through. Lauren Oliver has written many books in the future, but in my opinion, this is her best. Although I did not like the ending, the book was rounded out well. I hope that in the future Lauren writes more books like this one. I will be sure to read them!

skybean BRONZE said...
on Oct. 11 2012 at 8:30 am
skybean BRONZE, Elmont, New York

"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”~GK Chesterton

Loved the second book.. Never got to read the first :(  

on Oct. 9 2012 at 4:43 pm
emilyschmemily PLATINUM, Medford, New Jersey

"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?" -Albus Dumbledore

I literally could not put this book down!  I sat for four hours one saturday in my bed and read it front to back... I can't wait to start the next one!  I'd recommend it to anyone.

on Oct. 8 2012 at 9:48 am
MarieAntoinette2014 DIAMOND, Scottsburg, Indiana

Isn't it ironic? We ignore the ones who adore us, adore the ones who ignore us, love the ones who hurt us, and hurt the ones that love us.

It's an awesome book! I adore Alex, hate the ending. Good review.

on Oct. 6 2012 at 7:39 pm
CelebrateDifferences, Long Island, New York

“Gods of Olympus.” Piper stared at Leo. “What happened to you?”
His hair was greased back. He had welding goggles on his forehead, a lipstick mark on his cheek, tattoos all over his arms, and a T-shirt that read HOT STUFF, BAD BOY, and TEAM LEO.
“Long story,” he said.”

I'm reading this 4 book club! and its so amazing so far! Awesome review!