Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff | Teen Ink

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff

March 13, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Hollis Woods, a book that has changed how I look upon orphans today. The main person in the story is a young teenager named Hollis Woods, who runs away from her foster parents, until she has finally has found a mother that she wants to stay with. This woman is older she is kind and loves children she has a cat and that's it, just her and her cat. In the beginning Hollis has a closed mind about staying with her, figuring how long she will stay and then one night run.


Hollis Woods after a day or two she figures that the older woman is not that bad, she is nice to her and makes her feel welcome, they also have more in common then they thought, they are both artists. The older woman carves peoples faces into large chunks of wood, she then tells Hollis that if she stay she will then also have a wood carving, she makes her feel as welcome as possible, that she never has to leave and hopes she doesn't run away from her. The older woman also takes her to shows, museums, and to meet her best friend, she tells her she is beautiful.


Hollis begins to forget, she has short term memory loss, she then begins to want to run, she thought “I have money, money saved only for running not for gas not for clothes, just for running, then after awhile they agency will find me and I will still save money.” Hollis begins to think does she really want to run away from the best thing that has happened to her, from the one she loves and loves her back, from the only friend she has… will she do it? That is something I can not tell you, something that you will have to find out for yourself. Hollis Woods was a great book and I would most definitely recommend this book to just about anyone, it's a cliff hanger and a suspense builder.