Anthem by Ayn Rand | Teen Ink

Anthem by Ayn Rand

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

“I am a man. This miracle of me is mine to own and keep, and mine to guard, and mine to use, and mine to kneel before!” (Anthem 95) This quote is taken from Ayn Rand's Anthem, which illustrates the importance of thinking and judging independently and of acting according to our rational principles – even when “our brothers”- the leading government party in Anthem - oppose us. Anthem, in fact, relates to teenage life today. Smoking, drinking, drugs, shoplifting and gang violence often involve peer pressure. Peer pressure is social pressure on an individual to adopt a type of behavior, dress, or attitude, in order to be accepted as part of a group. Anthem demonstrates the importance of thinking for yourself, having you own morals, and not giving into peer pressure.

Drinking is the most common act in which teenagers engage in as a result of peer pressure. Statistics show that the majority of current teen drinkers got drunk in the previous month. That includes 56 percent of the high school sophomores who drink and 66 percent of the high school seniors who drink. As a peer drug educator in my high school, I am responsible for speaking to my fellow students about the perils of drugs and alcohol. One day, as I was sitting in a group session, one of my associates told a story in which her friend gave into peer pressure. She said that it started with just one sip of alcohol, one night, which ended fatally. She said that a friend of her friend had specifically chosen not to drink, in order to challenge peer pressure. Her friend though, was not smart enough to do this and ended up driving drunk, killing both herself and her innocent friend. I truly believe that if this girl had read Anthem, she would have been able to realize the importance of thinking for herself and the consequences of her actions.

Anthem is a man's tale of life above the influence. Equality 7-2521 knows that he should not give in to the higher authority. He understands the consequence of his actions, not of giving in to peer pressure, but living above it. He also appreciates himself; he values his mind and his body. To him the most important thing is himself, and for that he would never give into peer pressure. Liberty 5-3000, the woman in Equality 7-2521's life, says, “Your eyes are as a flame, but our brothers have neither hope nor fire. Your mouth is cut of granite, but our brothers are soft and humble. Your head is high, but our brothers cringe. You walk, but our brothers crawl.” (Anthem 83) This is the very line that I was anticipating as I was reading Anthem. This line is the essence of the book; it shows all the ways in which Equality 7-2521 is living above the influence, which is really important to understand.

In Ayn Rand's Anthem, Equality 7-2521 says, “I am. I think. I will.” (Anthem 94) This quote truly demonstrates the importance of living about the influence. Every life belongs to an individual, so why should someone live their life according to someone else's morals? Giving in to peer pressure is a sign of weakness, for it shows that a person doesn't believe in their own morals strongly enough. Giving into peer pressure is a result of the fear of being different. It shows a person's fear of not being accepted by his peers. But the truth is, as President Roosevelt said, “There is nothing to fear but fear itself.” I believe that Anthem is an outstanding book to read as a teenager, because it really delineates the epitome of a person standing up for himself and not giving into peer pressure, which is a totally analogous situation for teenagers today.

pradeep said...
on Sep. 30 2016 at 3:17 am
Most career information is available here... Thank you for god and useful information.... Thanks and regards: ANTHE Result