Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis | Teen Ink

Raising Dragons by Bryan Davis

By mimi4 BRONZE, Brunswick, Ohio
mimi4 BRONZE, Brunswick, Ohio

Raising Dragons is an action-filled fantasy book that tells the story of 2 half-dragon teenage kids. Bonnie is the new girl in school that always wears her backpack high on her back, has a hard time making friends and is an orphan. Under her backpack she is hiding dragon wings. Billy is an average boy with really hot breath. Dragon hot. The truth is that they are both half dragon. Billy’s dad and Bonnie’s dead mom are/were both dragons in human disguise. Merlin put them this way in Ancient times to protect them from slayers and wrote a prophecy of when they will return to normal. It has been centuries. Though Bonnie has known this since she was small, Billy is just learning this. Before long they cross paths and realize that their principal is a long-lost dragon slayer. Then Billy’s house is mysteriously burnt down. Soon after, the slayer attacks Billy’s dad and leaves Billy and Bonnie stranded in the wilderness after crashing their plane. They have to work together to survive and run from the slayer. They are soon rescued and brought to stay at Billy’s friend Walter’s house. Their story seems to be on an upswing until Bonnie goes missing. Read the book to find out what happens to Billy’s dad, the dragon kids and everyone else.

I think that the theme is that you have to just put faith in those around you and trust. This is a main part of the prophecy and it is how Billy grows through the story. I think that Bryan Davis’ purpose was to entertain his readers with this book. In my opinion he definitely achieved his purpose. It was one of those books I could not put down!

I personally LOVED this book! It was amazing and I read it twice! This book is absolutely transcendent and goes beyond entertaining! This book has a great moral of friendship and faith. It is now one of my favorite books! It kept you on the edge of your seat and was rarely boring. The superlative plot is genius! It takes you on a long adventure where each part is always unexpected. The book also gave exquisite detail, but only when needed. I love fantasy and it had lots of it. This is a great book for all fantasy-loving teens. It has lots of magical beings and concepts. Also, all teens can relate at least a little to either Billy or Bonnie. Raising Dragons is a GREAT book and I can’t wait to read book two of the Dragons on our Midst series, The Candlestone.

This was an awesome book! Book two was even better! Book 3 was okay. Book 4 was terrible.