Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

If you are anything like me you have been captivated by the recent Hunger Games trilogy. If you can’t believe the books are over and don’t know what to read next I understand completely. There is no need to worry though; all you need to do is take a deep breath and read Divergent. I absolutely recommend this book for anyone who’s looking for a great read.
Divergent is Veronica Roth’s first book, and has the same dystopian theme as The Hunger Games, but brings many new themes and ideas to the table. Divergent takes place in a futuristic Chicago where society is split into five factions: Amity the loving, Candor the truthful, Erudite the intelligent, Abnegation the selfless and Dauntless the brave. The focus is on a sixteen year old named Beatrice Prior, who must choose between the five factions. Before each teenage must choose they are tested to see which faction they are most suited for; Beatrice’s test results are considered dangerous. She is Divergent which means she is an equal mix of Abnegation, Dauntless, and Erudite. Now Beatrice is forced to choose between her family in Abnegation or a new faction.
Her choice leads to many plot twists and edge of your seat moments. The book literally had my heart racing and palms sweating. I couldn't put the book down I was so intrigued and caught up in the world of Divergent. This book is amazing, and should be read by everybody- it contains mystery, romance, suspense, action and everything a good book needs.