Beastly by Alex Flinn | Teen Ink

Beastly by Alex Flinn

By PrincessRita14 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
PrincessRita14 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction

Book Review

Beauty, money and power isn’t everything there is to love about a person. Personality, kindness, and inner beauty are the true things to love about a person. Kyle Kingsbury doesn’t get that. Beastly has romance, drama, and action, it is a perfect book for almost anybody. You may think this story is just another Beauty and the Beast, but it is much, much more than that. You also may think being a beast in medieval times was hard, but try living in New York in the 21st century! It is way worse. Anyone can connect to this book, even from the first touch. Beastly, a phenomenal novel written by Alex Flinn, is a book for anybody who has an eye for drama, action, or romance.

Beastly is an amazing fantasy book written by Alex Flinn. In this book you will find the perfect boy, Kyle Kingsbury, being thrown into a new life filled with misery, hopelessness, and depression. Once he gets transformed into something Beastly he never talks to anyone except the maid and his unloving father. Although Kyle was still angry with the witch, she gave him a magic mirror to let his see whoever he wanted to see. His rudeness and depression is getting on everybody’s nerves, especially his father, who is a billionaire, who buys him a new house in somewhere more secluded. In the midsts of all his searching through the magic mirror, in his even lonelier new house, he finds a girl named Lindy, who sparks his eye. What will he do with Lindy? Will Kyle ever be perfect again? Read the intriguing, heart-racing, and mind-blowing book Beastly to find out.

There were many things I liked about Beastly, other things I didn’t like as much. My favorite part of the book was how the roses were very symbolic. Everything Kyle did, from the beginning to the end of his journey, had to do with roses. Another one of my favorite things about this book was all the characters and what they came to be in the end. But my most favorite part was all the chat rooms in between every part of the book. It was cool to get an inside view on the other characters in the book and not just Kyle. But one thing I didn’t like was how Kyle was depressed all the time. I don’t exactly like reading books were the main character is always depressed, angry, or sad all the time but this book was so good I just couldn’t put it down.

One of my other favorite things that I didn’t mention was all the connections the author made. Many connections were from Beauty and the Beast. An example is that Kyle had to find love in certain amount of time or he would stay Beastly forever. Another connection I liked about Kyle was how the author related him to The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Kyle was like Quasimodo who looked down on all the other normal people in the world from his tower, or in Kyle’s case, his attic. The last connection the author made was to The Phantom of the Opera. The connection was about how the Phantom captures a girl to be his love, much like Kyle and Lindy. The connections are one of the best part of the book!

In Beastly Kyle learns that beauty, money, and power isn’t all there is to a person. Kyle ruled his school, until that one night at the school dance. One mistake and you’re an outcast forever. Kyle learns to live life not by what’s on the outside, but what’s on the inside. As he sits home, pondering in his thoughts, he realized how he was and how far he has come from those days. I think the main message in Beastly is don’t live by what you look like or how much money or power you have, live by you morals and beliefs.

All in all, I thought Beastly was a fantastic book for almost any reader. Many readers before me have enjoyed this book just as much as I have and I’m sure readers to come, maybe you, will too. It has a great message, memorable connections, and an amazing writing style. I cannot imagine hating this book. The plots in this book will leave you at the edge of your seat, turning the pages rapidly, and leave you wanting more. As you read this you will follow the life of Kyle Kingsbury and find out how he became Beastly. Beastly is a classic story that has been made bright and new.