Defect by Will Weaver | Teen Ink

Defect by Will Weaver

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Defect is a tale of prejudice, hate, love, amazing powers, and learning to accept yourself. Told by a young man with a face only a mother could love and with the wings of a bat, this story outlines his life and his journey to become accepted by those around him while he struggles to accept himself. This book includes many awkward encounters with hormones along with many smelly moments, which provide an interesting mix of comic relief and putrid reality.

The theme “people fear what they don't understand” is found continuously throughout the book. The main character fears himself at times, scientists and the main character's peers also are frightened by him and his abilities. Almost everyone has at one time in their life been afraid of something that they couldn't understand. Therefore, it is easy for the reader to connect with the characters in the book.

This story was very well put together, though at times the flashbacks seemed to be inappropriately placed, causing confusion for the reader.

I would definitely recommend this book to everyone who has at least dreamed once of flying.