The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By Bella Jaffe BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Bella Jaffe BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

No one knows what is in the future, what will happen to our friends or our family. For all we know they could be gone in instant. The Hunger Games is the first book in an intense series. The Hunger Games tells a story of a 16 year old girl who sacrifices herself for someone she loves. She will have to fight for her life. She is forced into an arena with 24 others awaiting her death while the entire Panam are watching every movement. 24 go into the arena 1 comes out. The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, is an amazing and intense read that keeps the reader on the edge of their seat.
The Hunger Games, the first book in an addictive series by Suzanne Collins, portrays our world in the future. The Hunger Games is written in the perspective of a 16 year old girl living in District 12. The Hunger Games starts out on Reaping Day, where the Capitol selects two 12-18 year olds one female and one male to participate in the annual hunger games, as a reminder not to rebel against the Capital. When 16 year old Katniss's 12 year old sister Primrose (Prim), is selected as the female tribute Katniss volunteers to takes her place. The male tribute is 16 year old Peeta Mellark. On the train ride to the Capital you learn about their mentor, Haymitch, who is a past victor and is supposed to guide and help Katniss and Peeta through the hunger games and turns out to be more than just a drunk. When they reach the Capitol Katniss meets Cianna, Katniss's stylist, who is her most reliable friend from the Capitol. Before the games Katniss and Peeta are both interviewed and the crowd can't help but love them. Just before the games Cianna and Katniss wait. The time has come and Katniss step on a metal disc, glass surounds her and she feels herself lift upward. And… let the games BEGIN.
To me the messages of The Hunger games by Suzanne Collins, is that life is unstable, and full of sacrifice. I think that what Katniss did for Prim will stay with me for a while, even if the world isn't full of many people who love others more than themselves that are as young as Katniss, to me that stands out. In The Hunger Games everything is about sacrifice, two 12-18 year olds are taken from their homes dropped in a arena and forced to fight for their lives 23 of the tributes never see their families again and for what reason but to serve as entertainment for the capital, that is just wrong. What I think the theme of The Hunger Games was is that life is drowned in sacrifice and that life is extremely unstable.
Over all I loved the book The Hunger Games but there were somethings that I disliked but then realized that they had to happen for the story to work. I hated the deaths but if they didn't die when they did then Katniss would have had to kill them. While reading the book I found myself saying "Why did she say that!" or "Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!" but thinking back humans are imperfect and it really would make sense for that character to say that. Over all I found myself arguing a lot with this book but loved it anyway.
The Huger Games is a unique book written by a unique author. Each author has their own writing techniques. The Hunger Games is written in both third and first person. I liked this because I think it made it easier to connect to the main character. I also enjoyed the vocabulary because it wasn't to complex so it was easier to get sucked into the story. The third thing I liked about the book was that it wasn't to flashy. It didn't have a busy coverer chapter pages so it didn't distract from the story. I liked how Suzanne Collins,The author of The Hunger Games, used both third and first person, Had good vocabulary, and wasn't Flashy.
In conclusion, The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, is an intense, suspenseful, and amazing book that keeps you coming back for more. This book shows how unstable life really is. In The Hunger Games Katniss's life is thrown upside down. Will Katniss's life ever return back to normal? Will she even survive and if she does are there consequences of winning if so what are they? All these questions and much, much, more will be answered as you read The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins.

JellicleCat6 SILVER, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Excellent job, Bella! :D