Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter | Teen Ink

Born at Midnight by C.C. Hunter

By Reading4life BRONZE, SAN GABRIEL, California
Reading4life BRONZE, SAN GABRIEL, California

"If you can dream it, you can do it" Walt Disney

Are any teens normal now? It seems like when you get to certain age you mature. (Wrong! You get sucked into a world full of creatures you never knew existed. Duh!) Pop-teen books raging from City of Bones to Hush, Hush, Born at Midnight doesn’t fall too behind. Jammed pack with werewolves, fairies, witches and vampires. This novel will have you eat it up and leave you hungry for more. Artfully written by C.C. Hunter is a fictional story circling around sixteen year old Kylie Galen. Finding herself at the wrong place and time, she gets sent to Shadow Falls Camp; a refuge for juvenile delinquents. But surely she doesn’t belong with a bunch of freaks!
Kylie, like any teen is stressed about her life and wishes nothing but to have another one. Be careful what you wish for. Della, Miranda and Kylie find themselves in an unlikely friendship, yet one that sprouts and flourishes throughout the book. “‘Yes I do. Because we’re a team. All of us.’”(pg.289) In my opinion, this is one of the greatest aspects of the book. Characters that seem like one thing completely change as friendship grows or weakens, trust prospers or dies and at times when fates are taken at risk. Fighting for her heart are bad boy werewolf, Lucas and attentive fairy, Derek. Read on to find out who claims her heart as love will be tested. Holiday is the ideal camp leader; caring as a mother but cool enough to bond with the kids in a friend like manner
Texas’ warm, summer air is the setting for this modern thriller. Exposing to its lakes and great wilderness, you’ll feel as if Texas was your second home. I really enjoyed how the author brought her feelings of Texas and made you feel them in her writing.
C.C. Hunter as if a teen herself makes you forget it’s a book at all. Instead you are shot in Kylies’ life. The way Hunter gets inside a teens mind is so remarkable. I find myself looking back on pages thinking ‘hey didn’t I just do that’ or ‘I’m glad I’m not the only one to make that mistake’. I laughed so much during this book that I didn’t think it was possible. “Deny it. Deny that anything is up. ‘What ….werewolf?’ she asked, but darn if her voice didn’t lack conviction.” (pg.146)

This book reminds me of The Lightning Thief, with the multiple characters set in the book all achieving different goals. But hands down this is a girly book. Fans of Alyson Noel and Kristin Cast are in for a treat with this one. Personally, I thought the book was just good but read it for yourself. You’ll never know until you try.
With a life like this, who would you want to be normal?

butterfly123 said...
butterfly123, Banglore, Other
love the review!! i'm going to go read the book now :D

Please feel free to comment!!! I'd love to hear what you have to say.