The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

By Anonymous1235 BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
Anonymous1235 BRONZE, San Gabriel, California

In the book "The Lightning Thief" by Rick Riordan, 12 year old Percy Jackson is kept in the dark that he is a half-blood/demigod and is diagnosed with ADHD. He attends Yancy Academy and is goes on a field trip the Metropolitan Museum in New York City. His teacher, Mr. Brunner is leading the field trip and tells the class about the gods. While they were in the museum, Mrs. Dodds, Percy’s math teacher, attacks Percy and showed her true form. She is one of the three furies of the mystical monsters in Greek mythology. Percy’s friend, Grover, and his teacher, Mr. Brunner, helps Percy fight off the fury. Mr. Brunner gave Percy a pen that somehow transforms into a sword when the cap is taken off. No matter where the pen is, it will always be in Percy’s pocket. With news that more monsters will come after Percy, he is raced to Camp Half-Blood with Grover. His mother, although, was unable to pass through the property line. Percy learns more about himself as a demigod and the gods at the camp. In my opinion, I think people should read this book because it is very suspenseful and has a lot of action in it.
First of all, “The Lightning Thief” is very suspenseful. Each page you read makes you want to read more and more. I think that it is the best book in all of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. When I saw that it was filled with Greek mythology, I thought it would be really boring. Learning about the Greek gods while reading an interesting book wasn’t all that bad. The quote “Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood. If you’re reading this because you think you might be one, my advice is: close this book right now…” (1) made the book seem really suspenseful right on the first page. First impressions of the book can have a huge affect. When I first read this book, I had no idea what a half-blood was. The only way to answer these questions was to read on. As I kept reading, more and more questions popped into my head. Later on, I start getting more into the story finding out all of these different things and events happening, how the great master bolt was taken away from the god of all gods and how being a “half-blood” is dangerous.
Second of all, the book is packed with action. Almost every page of the plot has action in it. The way Rick Riordan writes is absolutely amazing. His use of descriptive words makes every sentence very intriguing. The quote “Her eyes began to glow like barbecue coals. Her fingers stretched, turning into talons. Her jacket melted into large, leathery wings. She wasn’t human. She was a shriveled hag with bat wings and claws and a mouth full of yellow fangs, and she was about to slice me to ribbons” (12) shows a lot of description already. Not only does he use a lot of description words, but Rick Riordan also uses similes and many other things. The quote helps you visualize what is going on in the book in your mind. Because he described the fury so well, it is really easy to imagine what the fury would look like.
Third of all, there are also some adventurous parts. Everywhere Percy goes is a new adventure to me. Like I have said before, you can visualize yourself in the book because of the description words. I thought of myself in Percy’s position while reading this book and I could not put it down. The book was getting more and more interesting. Greek mythology wasn’t really something I would be interested in, but “The Lightning Thief” made it clear to me that Greek mythology can be very cool. I was amazed by the plot of the story. Rick Riordan wrote the best book there can ever be about Greek mythology, in my opinion.
All in all, “The Lightning Thief” by Rick Riordan wasn’t all that bad. Once you set your eyes on the first page, you won’t be able to stop reading until you have finished the book. I recommend this book to many people because it is packed with adventure, suspense, and action. The descriptions made the book seem very real. Anyone who loves Greek mythology will surely love this book.