Matched by Ally Condle | Teen Ink

Matched by Ally Condle

By Giselle De Silva BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
Giselle De Silva BRONZE, San Gabriel, California

In a perfect society where everything has its own place, its own routine, schedule, rules, and regulations, would you know what to do when things go wrong?

Matched by Ally Condle tells of a story where a girl named Cassia finds herself in a situation far more complicated than anything she’s done in the past.

The story starts off with the Match Banquet that’s held for every girl and boy at the coming age of adulthood. There they find their perfect match -- the one who is destined for them to get married with, have babies, and create a whole new generation with. The Match Banquet is one that all civilians desire.

“I never had a choice to begin with” (pg 144). Where Cassia lives, everything is put to order. Your future, where you work, the things you do, the places you go to and even the food you digest. It was all chosen for you. The Officials kept everything in track, while the Elders were the ones who started it all. You had no practical freedom from the Officials, for they were always watching you, like vultures keeping an eye on their prey.

As a teenager, we long for freedom to do things without so much of a "Yes" from the authorities. We dream to grow old even though we are still under going the phase of puberty. We play a game of tug-of-war with responsibilities. So what if we didn't have any freedom at all? What if we were condemned to the same routines day after day?

Would you be able to take the pressure?

Although we ride our bikes without helmets, and eat chicken without forks, we will always understand what is right.“It is strange how we hold on to the pieces of the past while we wait for our futures.” (pg 23). Kids, no matter how many times we tell ourselves that we are adults, we will always have that little playful or dangerous side to us. We can grow up to be living inside of a retirement home, or see it as a different version of a daycare center. But life as we know it is short and challenging. Society will continually face us eye to eye. Telling us what to do, and when to do it.

So take my advice, and fly to the skies. Reach for the heavens, and break down those thick walls. If society wants to keep you captive, then fight back. Fight back and never turn around.