Matched by Ally Condie | Teen Ink

Matched by Ally Condie

By karate8princesspinkM SILVER, San Gabriel, California
karate8princesspinkM SILVER, San Gabriel, California

Imagine a world, where everything is chosen for you–from what you eat, to when you die, and when you get to have children…. This novel is about Cassia Reyes. When a girl, or boy turns 17, they get matched, with a person in the country. When Cassia gets matched with her childhood friend, Xander, she is happy, but when she opens the microcard of her “match,”Xander’s face doesn’t appear on the screen. Ky’s face appears instead. She is now confused and worried. The officials tells her that Xander is her match, not Ky, and Ky is a mistake.

What will Cassia do–follow her heart, or obey the laws?

I really like the cover of this book. It is a girl in a beautiful silk dress, trapped in a green bubble. I can see why it was chosen to be the cover of this novel. It resembles what Cassia is feeling, she is trapped by the government, which doesn’t let her chose anything, and she has no freedom. She wants to be heard, but she can’t, because she is trapped. I am truly happy that our government is not like Cassia’s. I get to chose what I want, and not what tests pair me up with. I can chose what job I want, without taking a test for it. I want to be able to chose my own life, not having someone plan it for me. I want to be in charge of my own life, and I want to be heard–not trapped in a bubble.

” ‘Doesn’t it get boring?’….’We’ve heard the Hundred Songs so many times.’

‘They’re different, sometimes,’ Ky says.

‘Really?’

‘They’re different when you’re different’ “(149). I think it is kind of saying, that you could look at a painting the first time and say, “okay, well it’s just like all the other ones in the museum.” Then you look it again, with a different perspective, and you’ll say,” wow, the way all the colors splashed together–it’s a work of art.” I guess that’s all I can comprehend it. I re-read this quote over and over again trying to get the true meaning out of it, but each time I re-read it, I get a different thesis.

“Is falling in love with someone’s story the same thing as falling in love with the person himself”(196)? I know many people who want to hang out with a certain person, because they are rich, or they know stars and such. It is not real. They are falling for the other person’s story, not the person, herself. I personally think it’s stupid to hang out with other people just because they have connections. If someone I know, knows Stephenie Meyer, I am not going to kiss-up to that person so I could meet Stephenie Meyer, although that would be nice….

The ending was HORRIBLE! I cannot believe the choice Cassia makes. It just irritates me so much. I cannot tell you, or why either. The ending was just like Mockingjay, complete, utter disappointment. You expect the ending to be extravagant, but instead, you want to stop reading the book. I would not recommend this book to Twilight lovers(, even though I’m one), because Twilight fans look for an extravagant ending, not a disappointment. Although Twilight fans would probably not like this book, The Hunger Games fans would probably like it, since it takes place in the future, and the main character kind of rebells against the government.

If you are a Twilight fan, consider this a warning. You would not like to read this book.

~Meggie~