The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By sportygabb425 BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
sportygabb425 BRONZE, San Gabriel, California

The Hunger Games- a deadly, dangerous game where your every move decides whether you live, or die. Could you survive? Suzanne Collins’ fictional novel, The Hunger Games, revolves around a sixteen-year-old girl named Katniss Everdeen and her participation in the Hunger Games. After severe, catastrophic events, that destroyed North America, the nation of Panem rose. The nation contains twelve districts that surround the Capitol, as a result to ensure power and control over the districts, the Capitol forces the districts to send one boy, and one girl, between the ages of twelve to eighteen, to be contenders in the Hunger Games, a televised event where the participants fight to the death. Many find the Games to be a death sentence, and pray to never be chosen, however, Katniss Everdeen volunteers when she discovers her little sister is chosen to be a “tribute”. Although survival is Katniss’ second nature, trying to survive the Games will put Katniss in far more difficult situations than trying to feed her family. The Hunger Games is an epic novel because of its, original plot and character development, as well as its descriptions written by Suzanne Collins.
Both the plot and character development make The Hunger Games a fantastic story. Recently, I have noticed there are not many books, or stories about the aftermath of “the end of the world”, or that include a strong heroine character. The whole premise of The Hunger Games is fascinating because, there has never been a book where the main story is about a violent and evil game, and the power hunger people that created it. When I first read what the Hunger Games were, “ a fight to the death” I was astonished because, I could not believe how corrupt society and the government could become, and that instantly hooked me in. In addition, character development was also a factor to why I think The Hunger Games is a great book. There are many stories out there that have dominant male heroes, Harry Potter, Superman, even Snow White, and Sleeping Beauty, but has there ever been a story with a strong, clever, brave, female heroine before. “ At eleven years old, with Prim just seven, I took over as head of the family … a bell went off in my head. I thought of all the hours I spent in the woods with my father (hunting). I knew how we were going to survive.” Personally, I would not be emotionally strong enough to give up my childhood, and become the adult, as well as be the main provider for all of the necessities. In my opinion, after seeing what Katniss has done to take care of her family, it has made be want to be more like her, a survivor; not a princesses, or damsel in distress. The descriptions of Suzanne Collins are also what made the novel such a bit hit.
Collins’ descriptions painted the setting, and took the reader into the world of Katniss Everdeen. “ We settle back in the nook in the rocks… the valley … is teeming with summer life, greens to gather, roots to dig, fish iridescent in the sunlight. The day is glorious, with a blue sky and soft breeze.” Although there are not many describing words, the author’s word choice, and placement has the same affect of allowing the reader to see the setting, and sets up the tone. “ It was as if the impact had knocked every wisp of air from my lungs… struggling to inhale, to exhale to do anything.” In my personal experience, I have felt this awful feeling, and have been unable to describe it, but Suzanne Collins was able to take this feeling, put it into words, and allow her readers to step into the shoes of Katniss.

Due to Suzanne Collin’s well-written descriptions, and the book’s unique plot and character development, The Hunger Games has become one of the best novels of all time. Before The Hunger Games, I hardly read, but now I can’t stop reading. If you’re not an avid reader, The Hunger Games will definitely make one out of you.

trblue GOLD said...
on Mar. 14 2012 at 9:07 am
trblue GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

"Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother@#?!&* upside the head. "

i like this book.

i was reading it to see if

they would make me hate it

and pull a twilight. the movie

seems point  from what i see.