Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles | Teen Ink

Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles

By toress.13 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
toress.13 BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

Perfect Chemistry

“I'm ready for that Adrenaline rush...with you”, Says Alex Fuentes to Brittany Ellis in the dramatic tale of the book, Perfect Chemistry, written by Simone Elkeles. This book has a great amount of power and takes over the lives of teenage girls. Perfect Chemistry is a tale of a boy and a girl who fall madly in love, but not intentionally. Brittany Ellis has an exterior of being and acting like a Barbie with bleach blonde hair and a perfect life, but an interior of a broken personality. She comes from the rich side of Chicago, known as the Northside. The breath taking and gorgeous Alex Fuentes appears to be a badass with a cocky attitude, but in the inside he is a really caring and sensitive person. He unfortunately comes from the poor side of Chicago, also known as the Southside. The Northside and the Southside are rivals, the people from each of these cities clash and do not get along; what brings them together is their high school, Fairfield High. Alex is part of the Latino Bloods, one of the most popular gangs in the city of Chicago, but would he risk his life to get out the gang for the one he truly loves?

Simone Elkeles did a great job in writing this book, you can tell while reading she researched and really analyzed this book to make it perfect. Simone just didn't portray love and romance like a typical romance novel, but she also describes the life of being a poor Mexican and what the boys in the family do to keep their families safe and help put food on the table, that's exactly what Alex did. He joined the Latino Bloods to keep his family safe from the streets of the Southside and to help his hardworking mom put food on the table. Simone also did a fantastic job with descriptions and by describing every micro detail; I could actually picture every part of the book vividly in my mind as if an intense movie was playing in my head.

I've read many books about love and romance, but never like this; as soon as you start reading, you’re hooked; this book is like a drug, just once and your addicted. It took me one full day of reading and I finished, mind you this was a 300+ page book. Perfect Chemistry makes a reader seem bipolar from showing different moods and emotions, by wondering what’s going to happen next. From one chapter you’re smiling ear to ear with butterflies in the pit of your stomach and in another you’re crying because this book has so much passion and so much intensity. If you have not read this book, I highly recommend reading it, and once you finish Perfect Chemistry take a look at the rest of the trilogy. All the books in this amazing trilogy including the New York Times Bestselling author, Simone Elkeles deserve two thumbs up!

on May. 17 2012 at 12:19 pm
purplegirl18 BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas

you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. - AA Milne in "Winnie the Pooh"

This was a great review. I've read this book over and over and loved it each time, and I think I would have wanted to read it if I hadn't already. I liked the intro, but Brittany's boyfriend Colin actually says that, not Alex. Great review though!

trblue GOLD said...
on Mar. 14 2012 at 9:02 am
trblue GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

"Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother@#?!&* upside the head. "

Please keep your comments positive and constructive. We'll remove anything inappropriate. Thanks!