Forever Neverland by Heather Killough- Walden | Teen Ink

Forever Neverland by Heather Killough- Walden

By Hiraeth SILVER, St Petersburg, Florida
Hiraeth SILVER, St Petersburg, Florida

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
- Spock

Most of us know the classic tale Peter Pan, and some of us have even read the original tales by James Matthew Barrie, this particular book goes beyond “the end.”
It has been five years after Peter Pan first left the Darling children at their nursery-room window, according to Heather Killough- Walden, the author. Mr. and Mrs. Darling are frantically trying to find help for sixteen year old Wendy, who can’t seem to come back to reality. They have moved the family to modern United States, where they have well- known doctors trying to convince Wendy and Michael to turn from their absurd ideas. Michael encourages and looks forward to these stories, knowing too well that the words of a storyteller cannot be silenced, for all of Neverland depends on it. John Darling, on the other hand, has supposedly forgotten the adventures, agreeing with counselors and psychiatrists that Wendy, indeed, is mentally unstable and needs to stop writing these crazy fantasies- that she needs to forget about Neverland.
Not far from here, grown-up Peter and the human form of Tink struggle to return to Neverland. They are desperately tring to fulfill the promise he made to make sure ALL of Neverland’s children are happy, and Neverland won’t accept them until the promise is complete.
Of course, how could Neverland survive without its antagonist, the notorious Captain Hook? After kidnapping the Darling children once again, and finding out they are not kids anymore, he realizes Wendy has grown into a beautiful young lady. And when his past is revealed, will Wendy ever see him the same way again?
This daring adventure depicts the characters you love and cherish questioning their purpose in life as the book rotates from each character’ view point. Walden’s twist on this classic tale makes you wonder about the boy who never grew up, and his struggle to remain the hero of Neverland when he did.

Never is an awfully long time, and time has a way of changing things...