The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien | Teen Ink

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

By blahbutt23 BRONZE, Caledonia, Michigan
blahbutt23 BRONZE, Caledonia, Michigan

When talking about the Hobbit, people mainly think about how the world was unfolded with each word in the book. Essentially, with a slow pace, the book turns from a nice farmland to goblin caves and dragon lairs, an industry standard in most adventure tales now. Readers discover how Bilbo survived such an epic adventure and became part of a plot that would make Gandalf cringe at the very thought of “Its” power, The One Ring. The Hobbit is considered by many to be one of the best written achievements in the history of English Literature. Bringing old English folklore into a fantasy epic was never thought of before Tolkien’s time. Considerably, some people would say that The Hobbit is underappreciated, agreeable to people who have read the book. For one, Tolkien created a very complex world of story, environment, and believable characters that readers care about like close friends. The story in The Hobbit is very complex for children’s literature. Since Tolkien was a scholar and had mastered several languages, he could create a custom language easily and used this skill to create the symbols in the book. For example, the term used in the novel, Dwarfish, is correctly spelled with a “v,” Dwarven. Many people are baffled by Tolkien’s had gotten the idea of writing The Hobbit, critics have given similarities to Wagner’s series of fictional books. Tolkien himself gave some light on the subject saying that even though there are similarities he got the idea from an opera, being in World War I, and since he is a Phiologist and has a large influence from Anglo-Saxon Literature such as Beowulf.