Unwind by Neal Shusterman | Teen Ink

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

February 13, 2012
By DonBond BRONZE, Ypsilanit, Michigan
DonBond BRONZE, Ypsilanit, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Unwind Review


Unwind by Neal Shusterman is the book that I’ve read. This book is about a world where you can abort your child not when they are born, but from the age of 13-18. This is called unwinding. Their whole body is recycled and is cut up and given to people who need it. When a child is unwound it’s a question of whether they are dead or alive.


The three main characters are Risa, Lev, and Connor. Risa and Connor are both runaway Unwinds. Lev is a tithe, planned to be unwound since he was born. All three of them are running for their lives, doing anything it takes to survive. Soon they come across a problem that Connor created by taking a baby that was storked, which means a baby that was left on a strangers doorstep by its mother.


This is a very exciting book. There was never a boring page, every chapter was very interesting. Once I picked up this book I didn’t want to put it down. This is the first book I’ve read by Neal Shusterman, but it’s by far the best book I’ve ever read. I would recommend this book to teenagers, because younger kids might not understand the book. It makes you think a lot about life. I think once you’re unwound you’re dead not alive, because you’re not whole. It’s the same as cutting you up and not putting your body parts on someone else. In the book it says that your still 100% alive, just in a divided state.


At the end of the book you will see if they survive running from the juvey-cops, and if they can stay away from the harvest camp. Connor, Risa, and Lev are all very different and it’s challenging for them all to get along.