To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee | Teen Ink

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

By Shi23244 SILVER, Thermopolis, Wyoming
Shi23244 SILVER, Thermopolis, Wyoming

True Friends are like the sun, they always shine

Courage is a key in life

What is courage? Courage plays a big part in the book To Kill a Mocking Bird, by Harper Lee. Scout and Jem under go a lot of courage throughout their lives. Both Scout and Jem are both growing up and they will see how much their lives are going to change whenever they give courage a chance to shine.

My first example of courage is when Scout stood up for her own dad. Her cousin Francis calls her dad, Atticus, a n***** lover. Since Scout is growing up and changing throughout the story, she takes out her cousin. What I mean when I say ‘take out,’ she locks him in the kitchen. Normally people don’t show that much courage, but when Scout does that she is showing us that she really loves her dad. “Francis rose and sprinted down the catwalk to the old kitchen. At a safe distance he called, ‘he’s nothin but a n*****-lover!’ ‘He’s not’ I roared. ‘I don’t know what your talking about, but you better cut it out this red hot minute!’” “Your gonna take it back Fra-ancis?’ But I was too quick on the draw. Francis shot back into the kitchen, so I retried to the steps. I could wait patiently. I had sat there perhaps five minutes when I heard Aunt Alexandra speak.” pg 110-111

My last example of courage is when Scout’s father shoots the mad dog, Tim Johnson. This is an example of courage because Atticus had not shot a gun in thirty years. Atticus was the top shot in Maycomb when he actually would shoot things or hunt. Scout and Jem saw that their father was more cooler than they thought. “The riffle cracked. Tim Johnson leaped, flopped over in a brown and white heap. He didn’t know what hit him.” pg127

Courage is a part of every one’s life. Scout and Jem both saw examples in their lives also. Many people don’t understand the concept of courage but some where they have some too. Atticus and Scout are both courageous for their actions. They both have courage.

This is an essay for my english class