The Crucible by Arthur Miller | Teen Ink

The Crucible by Arthur Miller

March 30, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

A classic in the literary world can be defined as a work with the quality of longevity and a content that transcends all generation gaps. In the case of The Crucible, the story outlines an important historical event in United States history. Like most historical events, the event of the Salem Witch Trials runs the risk of repetition. If not the specific event itself, then the concept and panic that ensued as a result of the concept of the trials carry a high rate of repetition.

In the trials, the people were attempting to rid their society of the things that countered their belief system and known realm of living. Their fear led to a widespread distrust in the out of the ordinary. Readers can identify with this fear and this relation adds to the nature of this literary classic. For example, after September 11th, people of the United States feared another terrorist attack and therefore, rejected and singled out anyone who could be affiliated with the Middle East. This association of fear with a grouping of people goes along with the fear of the people in The Crucible as they conducted the Salem Witch Trials. In this example, one can see the ability of a true literary classic to breech the generation gap.

Arthur Miller wrote The Crucible in 1950 and his name on the cover also adds to the nature of the classic. Miller has written many influential plays, such as The Death of a Salesman. His name is to be forever associated with works of great literary merit. Therefore, The Crucible is an accomplished work without the cover ever being opened.

The definition of a literary classic is a multifaceted definition. It involves elements of reader attention, application of the content, and quality of the author's name. The Crucible can be considered to be a classic because it exemplifies a work that has transcended generation gaps due to the fact that its underlying concept can be applied to situations no matter the time period. The events in the 1600's can be applied to events in the 2000's. Also, Arthur Miller is an author with a widespread and highly respected name. His works are highly revered in the literary world and will continued to be discussed, examined, and reproduced for generations to come.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 1 comment.


on Sep. 25 2010 at 6:29 pm
AngelicaM BRONZE, Warren, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 15 comments
I love this review and am, because of what you wrote, looking forward to reading this masterpiece for my English class.