The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

February 7, 2012
By Pippy BRONZE, Kelowna, Other
Pippy BRONZE, Kelowna, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves. <3


The Hunger Games


Katniss Everdeen, 16 years old, is many things. She is a sister, a daughter, a friend, and a hunter. But most of all, she is a fighter. Since she lives in District 12, a territory of Panem, she kind of has to be. Finding food and basic necessities is a daily struggle.

Now Katniss has to leave her mother, sister, and best friend, Gale, to partake in the annual Hunger Games, where the last of twenty-four participants to come out alive is the victor. This is where she uses her hunting skills to her advantage, impressing the Gamemakers even before the fight begins.

In the arena, finding food and shelter in addition to staying safe from other participants proves to be a horribly difficult task. Some tributes choose to form alliances with each other to combine resources and skills. Since these players range from twelve to eighteen years old, Katniss finds herself forming an alliance with twelve year-old Rue, who reminds Katniss of her sister Prim, who is the same age as Rue. I felt that Suzanne Collins brought in Rue at the perfect point during the rising action.

The Hunger Games is all about strategies. One of those strategies is love. This is where Katniss and Peeta, who is the male participant from District 12, declare their love for each other in front of the TV viewers, as The Hunger Games is televised across all districts. The couple gains popularity through their ‘’love story’’, and this brings excitement from the viewers and anger from the Capitol.

The Hunger Games is a gripping book. Katniss stepped up for her sister, and this reminded me that my sister would do that for me any day. I felt that even though the world Katniss lives in and the events she takes place in are barbaric, I can see that she is just like another teenager trying to fit in with her twisted world. It has everything I want in a book, like excitement, adventure and friendships. The author kept me reading more by building up a suspenseful, eventful climax. Do you want to know more? Then I highly suggest you read the book!


The author's comments:
I loved this book so much and I couldn't wait to read the second book in the series: Catching Fire