Deadly Decisions by Kathy Reichs | Teen Ink

Deadly Decisions by Kathy Reichs

February 7, 2012
By jennsonnnxx BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts
jennsonnnxx BRONZE, Oxford, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In the book Deadly Decisions by Kathy Reichs, Dr. Temperance Brennan is a forensic anthropologist who uses her forensic skills, inquiring mind and keen eye for detail to unravel a sequence of mysteries. Tempe is an intelligent, resourceful and headstrong woman but she does struggle with holding a relationship. Throughout the book, Tempe learns the real truth of some people that she would have never expected. Little does Tempe realize that what she is getting herself into is more dangerous than she assumed. The book takes you through a series of mysteries involving daring motorcycle gangs stirring up trouble throughout the town.
The story starts out of the murder of nine year old Emily Anne who was shot in the head on Montreal Street. The little girl was murdered accidently in the crossfire of the members of rival gangs; The Hell’s Angels, The Heathens, and The Bandidos. Temperance Brennan was only on the case to study the body of Emily along with other motorcycle members who were killed and run the autopsies. Tempe asked to join the case as a detective because she could not stand by while children were dying from the war between gangs. Through a series of events, Brennan reveals parts of a teenage skeleton that she believed to be linked with the motorcycle gangs. During all of this her nephew, Kit, winds up involved in the gangs and she is forced to risk her life in order to save his from the dangerous criminals. By the end of the story Kit learns his lesson but without him, Tempe would have never gotten the answers she needed to complete the cases.
Deadly Decisions was a difficult story to really get into. Kathy Reichs introduced a number of characters at the beginning making the book rather confusing. She also used a lot of scientific vocabulary that was challenging to understand. By the middle of the book the author had a tremendous way of drawing the reader in using a chain of surprising twists and unexpected events. Kathy Reichs kept you on the edge of your seat, guessing until the very end.