Hatchet by Gary Paulsen | Teen Ink

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

"Chest! Oh God, my chest is coming apart!" The pilot was having a heart attack. Brian had been in the mall with his mom when a man had suffered a heart attack. He had gone down screaming in pain about his chest. It had been an old man, much older than the pilot.
Hatchet is about a 13 year old boy named Brian. Brian is on a private plane to go visit his dad when the pilot suffers a heart attack. He's able to manage the plane for a while, but it soon runs out of fuel.
The next thing he know he's landed in small lake in the middle of the Northern wilderness. Stuck all alone with a hatchet and a survival kit. The contents of the survival kit keep him alive ; sleeping bag,aluminum cook set,matches,lighters,a sheath knife,a compass,first aid kit, and a fishing kit.
This story was good, but very sad. I liked the author's creative detail and writing style. It was sad because he was stranded and all one. No one knew where he was.
I can relate to this story. Although I have never been stranded, I feel alone sometimes. Who doesn't feel alone at some point? I guess it's not the same thing feeling alone and completely being alone.