Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts | Teen Ink

Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts

January 25, 2012
By Weatherby76 PLATINUM, Newtown, Pennsylvania
Weatherby76 PLATINUM, Newtown, Pennsylvania
33 articles 34 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” – Douglas Adams


In this historical narrative, author Cokie Roberts brings to life the women that shaped our nation. They were explorers, writers, thinkers, First Ladies, and trail-blazers. They were the confidants of the President, of congressmen, and department heads, and were the ballasts in times of great turmoil. Many challenged a woman's role in society. Others devoted their lives to help those in need, establishing orphanages, or starting a school for girls. These women- such as Abigail Adams, Louise Livingston, and Rebecca Gratz- were the movers and shakers behind the scenes, who were confined to their very small niche in society but somehow managed to make great strides forward. Roberts provides key insights into their daily lives- their sorrows, their worries, and their thinking-, and reveals just how important women were to the start-up of the infant nation. Roberts also puts in a lot of wit to make this a very entertaining read. I would recommend this book for people who want to learn more about the "better parts" of the Founding Fathers, and view history from a totally different perspective.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.