Mocking-jay by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Mocking-jay by Suzanne Collins

By Izzy Shehab BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Izzy Shehab BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

In the third book of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins the author, explains what might happen if the continent of North America was called Panem, and divided into 13 parts. In the beginning of Mockingjay, the third book, Katniss's home has been destroyed but her family is all safe, except for her fiance Peeta. He has been captured by the people in the Capitol, a place where the many antagonists live, people who are fashionable and superficial. Within Panem a war has started and many of the different states have been bombed and most of the population has been depleted. By the time Katniss agrees to lead the country to prepare for a rebellion, many lives have been lost including many innocent children. Finally they decide to take a leap by trying to rescue Peeta and, in the end they up succeed in one way but fail in another. Will Katniss be able to save thousands of lives with the rebellion or still end up killing innocent people? Will Katniss and Gale be able to save the country and Peeta?
I like the way that Collins writes this book because she makes it very detailed. Each scene is able to paint a picture in your mind (not always good ones though). But one thing about the book that I was confused on was that this trilogy was advertised for preteens and children but sometimes it could get gory and bloody. I personally think that this book is better for kids aged twelve and up. Another thing that I liked about this science fiction novel was how the author quietly introduced romance between the three main characters, kind of like a love triangle. She kept this part of the story appropriate. I thought that this book’s plot was mainly easy to follow and if you got confused you could often understand it after a few pages. Throughout these books I found that the authors voice was portrayed as Katniss’s and so I feel as if the author is similar to Katniss in the way that she talks.