The Pigman by Paul Zindel | Teen Ink

The Pigman by Paul Zindel

January 25, 2012
By buffalo1111 BRONZE, Kenova, West Virginia
buffalo1111 BRONZE, Kenova, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Would you like to read a book about teenagers who drink, smoke, and cause trouble? I have the book for you. It’s called The Pigman. It’s a great book for teenagers to read. This book was written by the famous author Paul Zindel. Paul was reaching out to teenagers with this book. He wanted teenagers all over the world to be reading this book. The type of genre is Realistic Fiction. It’s a real story, but it never happened in real life.

First, the setting of the story took place in New York City. It was the late 1960’s when John and Lorraine played a practical joke on a stranger. They prank called Mr. Pignati and became friends when they went to his house to collect their money. They faked as a company and said they would like a donation. Later, they were playing in his house and Mr. Pignati had a heart attack. After two weeks in the hospital he gets better. A couple weeks after his first heart attack, the three go back to the zoo. He goes there to visit the baboon. He named him Bobo. Bobo was Mr. Pignati’s best friend. They went to the monkey house and the zoo keeper told Mr. Pignati that Bobo had died. He went into shock and had his second heart attack right there. He doesn’t get better after this heart attack. He died right in the middle of the zoo.

Next, the drawings in the book really helped me understand what they were doing. It explained the games and stories. John and Lorraine switched off writing every paragraph. They each told their side of the story. This is a very good book, but my favorite is Beyond Belief. It is a story about a baseball player that gets hooked on drugs, but makes it back in the MLB. I really liked The Pigman though. I don’t read much, but when I do I try to find a good book. For all ages it’s a great book, but really good for teenagers.

Paul Zindel has written many other good books and I would try and read more of him. The Pigman is one of my favorite books I have ever read. It’s funny, energetic, and mysterious. You never knew what was going to happen next. When I first saw the title of this book I thought it was going to be about a bunch of pigs. I immediately didn’t want to read about it and look what I’m saying now. It was a great book!