The Pigman by Paul Zindel | Teen Ink

The Pigman by Paul Zindel

By writer2324 BRONZE, Huntington, West Virginia
writer2324 BRONZE, Huntington, West Virginia

What kind of things do you collect? Well the Pigman collects pigs of all kinds. The Pigman was written by Paul Zindel. I think this book is intended for mainly middle school kids. The Pigman is a realistic fiction based on a man who collects pigs, that’s why he is called The Pigman.

The Pigman takes place in New York City, most of the time they’re in Mr. Pignati’s house, the kids John and Lorraine are always there. John is a boy that is extremely handsome and he always gets away with things because of his looks. Also, John’s six feet tall with sort of longish brown hair and blue eyes, but he drinks and smokes like crazy which Lorraine does not like. Lorraine on the other hand is the mature one of the two and she has green eyes. John and Lorraine go to the Pigman’s house and they learn that his wife is in California visiting relatives but later they find her funeral bill. They kind of felt sorry for Mr. Pignati because he was all alone and the only friend he had was a baboon. Anyways, John was roller skating in the house one day when e was playing around and Mr. Pignati joined in but the old man got to him, John went up the stairs with the skates on and he tried to follow him but Mr. Pignati was gasping for air and he soon fell down the stairs and passed out. After the Pigman was released from the hospital they went to see Bobo his baboon friend, but Bobo wasn’t there and when Mr. Pignati found out he just passed away.

In this book, I think it’s very different from other books because for each chapter the narrator changes. Lorraine has a chapter then they switch and John tells a chapter. In my opinion this book was a great one, it really had my attention and usually the books I read get boring after a while, but this one didn’t. I really liked this book.

I think you should try to read The Pigman, it’s definitely a must read. If you are not a middle school kid, you might want to wait a while before you read this one though. The Pigman collected pigs for a living, what will you collect? I collect all kinds of marbles.