'Salem's Lot by Stephen King This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Jerusalem’s Lot, better known as ‘Salem’s Lot, or just the Lot, is the little, quiet town just off the main highway in southern Maine.

But strange things are happening in the Lot.

Of course, every town has its “dark” side, ghosts and what not.

Then somebody moves into the Marsten House.

Nobody’s lived in the sinister Marsten House, not since Hubie Marsten shot his wife and hung himself.

A cat is savagely butchered; a young boy vanishes into thin air. Something evil is in the Lot.

As a town quickly spirals into a frenzy of terror and confusion, Ben Mears, a writer with haunting memories of the Marsten House, comes back to ‘Salem’s Lot to exorcise his demons. As the disappearance grow, he begins to suspect the newcomers to the house. Suddenly, Mears finds himself combating the most cryptic of legends- vampires. No one believes him, and he is soon being suspected as well. As the mystery and hysteria grow, he is locked in a battle against time, and the power of forces greater than any demon imaginable. Soon, nobody will be left in the Lot.

In this brilliantly conceived tour de force, Stephen King brings to life the creatures that have prowled for centuries in local lore. The book draws you into its twisted plot, with vivid characters, and stunning turns. It has the power to make something enigmatic very real- pretty soon, you’ll be checking over your shoulder for lurking shadows, too.