Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin | Teen Ink

Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin

By amandapanda716 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
amandapanda716 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

"If you live to be one hundred,I want to be one hundred minus one day so I never have to live a day without you." -Winnie the Pooh

When is the last time you read a happy, fun, faerie book about friendship and betrayal? Extraordinary, by Nancy Werlin is a fantastical faerie novel about a girl named Phoebe Rothschild who has a best friend Mallory. What Phoebe doesn‘t know is that Mallory’s 24 year old brother, Ryland is coming to town and they are both faeries on a “mission” to forcefully make Phoebe think she is just any ordinary teenager. They are on this mission because the faerie queen made a bet with Phoebe’s great-great-great (etc.) grandfather making his five sons extraordinary but this has slowly been sucking the power and life away from the faeries. The only way they can get their energy back is if the faeries find an ordinary Rothschild daughter and sacrifice her to the earth.

I really liked the ending of this book and how the author fit the story events together. The plot moved along at a good pace and the way characters reacted to different situations was described well. The narrator’s voice really went along with the stories. The characters didn’t have futuristic names and the wording fit with the genre. I think the theme of this book is betrayal and friendship because in the book there was friendship, then betrayal, then friendship, then betrayal (etc.). I would recommend this to any teen interested in faeries. I kept reading up to the end because there were secrets, many secrets not revealed until the end of the book. You’ll have to read it to know what I mean.