Delirium by Lauren Oliver | Teen Ink

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

January 18, 2012
By amandapanda716 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
amandapanda716 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
2 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you live to be one hundred,I want to be one hundred minus one day so I never have to live a day without you." -Winnie the Pooh


“It’s been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since the scientists perfected a cure.”

When the last time you read a book that was so full of suspense and excitement that you couldn’t put it down for two hours? That was such a unique plot you were intrigued all the way through? That time could be now! Delirium, by Lauren Oliver is a suspenseful post-apocalyptic story where love is classified as a disease in the United States. Boys and girls all go to different schools because it is illegal for people of opposite genders to talk or come in contact at all. When you turn eighteen you get “the cure” that prevents you from amor deliria nervosa. The main girl’s name is Magdalena (Lena) and her mom committed suicide because she got “sick”. So, for her whole life Lena was looking forward to the day of her procedure… until recently. This book has so much suspense going on it keeps you on your toes the whole time.

This is such an amazing book that I couldn’t put it down for very long periods at a time. I couldn’t sleep because I just wanted to finish the book! I thought the point of view that the story was told from emphasized the meaning, because when a story is told in first person it feels like you’re actually there. Living in the life of that person, seeing what they’re seeing, and most importantly, feeling what they’re feeling. Author’s Craft was also a big piece of emphasis too because, the better the author describes events, the better you picture and feel them. I would recommend this book to people thirteen and older (Any teen, or older, with a love for great books with unique plots, and amazing character variety and description).