Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger | Teen Ink

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Holden Caulfield is a kid who flunked out of high school. In the beginning he doesn’t have anybody. His teachers don’t like him and his parents don’t really want him around. At the beginning of the book he just wants someone to say goodbye to him before he leaves the school.

I like this book mainly because of the characters and the places they go. Catcher in the Rye was written by J.D. Salinger and it takes place in the early 1900’s. Even though it’s written in the 1900’s this book is timeless. Just by the way it was written, it seems like it was written today. How the characters talk and how they act makes it seem like modern times. I like this because of the words used and the repetition.

Holden Caulfield is the main character in the Catcher in the Rye. At the beginning of the book he is leaving his high school. He wants a goodbye before he goes though. Holden finally goes and visits one of his former teachers. Holden and Mr. Spencer talk awhile about his grades and how he failed his class and flunked out. Mr. Spencer doesn’t really like Holden but he kinda feels bad for him.

In this story Holden has a sister and her name is Phoebe. In the story Holden doesn’t see his parents too often. His parents don’t really want him around because they think he will be a bad influence on Phoebe. Holden also has a brother named D.B. They never really tell you what D.B. means in the story. D.B. lives in Hollywood and makes movies. In the book Holden doesn’t see his brother too much because he is often too busy.

I have just told you about the book The Catcher in the Rye. I mentioned when it was made. I also told you about the main characters and the family of Holden Caulfield. I thought that this was a good interesting book and I hope you will check it out.