The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater | Teen Ink

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

January 13, 2012
By blackfriesian GOLD, Goodhue, Minnesota
blackfriesian GOLD, Goodhue, Minnesota
10 articles 2 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
\"Is that the light at the end of the tunnel, or just the train?\" - Owl City


The Scorpio Races
By Maggi Stiefvater


One of my favorite things to do is read but it is getting harder and harder to find good books. By this I mean books that are well-written but have new and interesting story lines. Maggie Stiefvater’s The Scorpio Races was just that and more.

The Scorpio Races is the kind of book that allows it’s readers to explore a whole new culture. And if you are anything like me, that culture will suck you in and you’ll never want to leave. The Scorpio Races combines things we are familiar with -cars and sneakers- and things that are completely new, like man eating horses. Although this lead to confusion at times, it just made the book even more of a mystery.

The main characters, Puck and Sean, are both horse loving teens who are pretty much alone in the world. You will find yourself silently cheering for them as Puck and Sean do their very best to hold on to what little they have left. Puck was extremely brave taking on risks that most people consider death sentences. And Sean was constantly revealing more of his story, making me want to read on.

My favorite thing about this book is that I have never read anything like it. It was refreshing to find such a new story. At times though, I had no idea what was going on in the story. There were also a few points in the book where I got bored and wished things would move a bit faster. Overall, the good far outweighs the bad.

Maggi Stiefvater is a great author and I really like her book. Anyone who enjoys fantasy wouldn’t be able to put it down. Even those who don’t like fantasy will really like it. I definitely recommend reading this book, you won’t be disappointed.