Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

I just finished reading "Divergent" by Veronica Roth. This book is told by Beatrice, a 16 year old girl in the abnegation (selfless) faction. There are 5 factions in the old area of Chicago, they are the Peaceful (Amity), the Selfless (Abnegation), the Brave (Dauntless), the Honest (Candor), and the Intelligent (Euridite). When you are 16 you can choose to live you life out in the faction you currently live in or change factions and under go the process of change, and become part of a different faction. The one catch is the in there society it is "faction before blood" so if you were to change then you could not have contact with your old faction and family. In this book she changes to the Brave, and under goes a hard initiation process to become one of them. As she try's to fit in she has to guard a secret about her that she doesn't even understand. Alone the way she gains friends, losses friends, and finds a secret that changes her life, and puts her family, and everything she knows at risk.

I really liked this book, from all of the other dystopian books I have read. In this book it focuses on her trying to become part of her new faction, instead of why the society isn't perfect. There a bits throughout the book about what she knows and the choices she has to make, but in the end it is a big change and realization for her. I like this better because I think her reaction to the events in the book are more realistic then in others. This book is about how every person is taught to think like others in there factions, but she soon finds the flaw in this, not the government (as mostly in other dystopian books). I like how in this book she learns that no one is in just one faction and that they shouldn't be, she finds this out by seeing that she had selfless to be brave.

If I was to recommend this book, it would be for people who like fantasy and a different futuristic society, like the "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins.I hope that others will read this book as well because I found the plot interesting without being to twisty and hard to understand.

School Project