The Devil in the White City | Teen Ink

The Devil in the White City

By Christine.Lowden BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Christine.Lowden BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

The White City may be darker then you think. The Devil In The White City written by Erik Larson tells the strange and unique accomplishments during the 1890’s while constructing the Chicago Fair. Daniel Burnham and H. H. Holmes became famous or even known for what they did during and before the World’s Fair held in Chicago. No one knew that this many people would have died.

Burnham the architect of the fair and Holmes the pharmacist and business man have a strange way of coming together with the fair. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes an intense and historic book about the history of the well known Chicago Fair.Burnham went through stressful and tough times. Losing a partner, collapsing buildings, and a due date during the years. One of his biggest obstacles was trying to create a grander and greater building then the Eiffel Tower. The Chicago Fair was suppose to out do the fair that was held in France who's architect created the Eiffel Tower. In peoples minds they think of France as romantic and beautiful but Erik Larson describe the city of Chicago as a dump. They had trouble with the sewer and the garage. The trains didn’t make it any better with the smell and noise. Not really an appealing place to have a fair to compete with France.
Holmes on the other hand had moved to Chicago as a pharmacist to create a new life he left behind. Not knowing what he was planning to do with what weird and dangerous things he had constructed in his building no one knew about. He had used the hotel he had built to lure people into the hotel while the fair was being held. No one saw it coming what Holmes did to all these people, especially women.

Chicago has been known for the beautiful buildings built there but do you really know what happened there? This book tells the tale that things have happened in the past, especially the dark ones.

The Devil In the White City by Erik Larson.